In this Sponge Painted Sunflower Craft kids are using sponges to paint! It’s super quick to prep, short list of materials needed and easy enough for even the toddlers to do! Kids will have a blast painting with sponges! It’s unique, fun and adds a beautiful texture to the sunflower.
This Sponge Painted Sunflower Craft is a perfect addition to your fall crafts list. Sunflowers are starting to bloom around the country and they’re gorgeous! And why not create some of these spectacular flowers right at home!
More Fall Crafts
Materials for Sponge Painted Sunflower Craft:
(this list contains affiliate links- this just means I earn a small commission if you purchase via links below, no extra cost to you! See Full Disclosure)
- Start by cutting slits into the paper plate all around. This step can be done by the parent ahead of time.
- Next, place a large amount of each paint color onto a paper plate.
- Cut the sponge into long strips (easier to hold!) and set beside the paint.
Paint the petals yellow and the middle black by stamping the sponge into the paint and then onto the paper plate. Add a bit of orange too, to make a realistic sunflower!
- After the sunflower has dried a bit, cut a long thick strip of green cardstock and glue to the back of the sunflower to create a stem.
What is my child learning and improving?
- Effort, diligence (crafts are a great way to teach kids to try their best!)
- Fine motor skills (using fingers to hold/grip the sponge to paint)
- Small motor skills (using the sponge to stamp exercises the upper arm)
- Independence (this is a simple enough craft for kids which they could do independently, giving you some time for other things 🙂
(that’s typically how my younger one crafts…)
Make these beautiful Sponge Painted Sunflowers this Fall!