This Connect the Dots Art activity is one that my 3 year old keeps asking for! And I love it too because it literally takes less than 5 minutes and requires only some basic materials.
All you need is a bit of creativity! Pre-making a few of these ahead of time is a great idea also as you can whip one out in no time and have something fun for the kiddos to do.
You’ll be surpised how a simple and easy activity like this can help a child develop and improve many important areas of development. Kids are focused, for one. This helps with independency, diligence and hand-eye coordination. This activity also helps the child learn to draw. Tracing is always a wonderful way to introduce something new. Letters, numbers, anything, even drawing like in this activity.
For more in-depth description of what your child is learning and improving keep reading below!
More toddler activities
Materials For Connect the dots art:
(this list contains affiliate links- this just means I earn a small commission if you purchase via links below, no extra cost to you! See Full Disclosure)
Simply create a picture of whatever you would like using dots only. To make it even more fun and colorful use different colors of permanent marker. That way the child has to match the color of the crayon to the dots as well.
What is my child learning and improving?
- Drawing skills (allowing the kids to trace over the dots helps them learn to draw shapes, straight lines and simple pictures)
- Fine motor skills (holding the crayons to carefully connect the dots)
- Colors (this activity is also great for learning colors. Kids have to match the colors of the crayons to the permanent marker dots you’ve made)
- Hand-eye coordination (drawing always takes hand-eye coordination skills and this activity helps wonderfully with that. Kids have be careful to stay on the line and follow the dots with their crayons)
- Diligence + Focus (you’ll be surprised to see your kids super focused, leaning closer towards the page just not to get off the dotted lines 🙂 ).
This activity is amazing at keeping the little ones busy. Give this activity a try if you need to get something done or make a phone call!