Make these lovely Leaf Prints on Stones this Autumn with your kids. It’s a perfect, fun and fairly easy craft idea that will let you see all of the distinct and beautiful features of the leaves. This craft requires no fancy materials, meaning you can do this today, without heading to the store…my favorite type of craft :).
My kiddos loved this idea. Painting stones is always fun, but creating these gorgeous leaf prints is even more exciting! We brought the stones we used for these leaf prints from our vacation in Cape Cod over the summer and have been using them in various ways all this time, which makes it so special. We made Story Stones with some as well, which kids love to play with still.
Keep reading to see how easy these Leaf Prints on Stones are to create!
More stamping and printing ideas
Materials For Leaf Prints on Stones:
(this list contains affiliate links- this just means I earn a small commission if you purchase via links below, no extra cost to you! See Full Disclosure)
- Washable kids paint
- Large paint brushes
- Small leaves (try to find a nice collection of different leaves; oak, maple, birch, etc.)
- Paper plate
- Squeeze the washable kids paint onto the paper plate and prepare the paint brushes.
- First paint the stones a desired paint color and let dry a bit (this step is totally optional).
- Next, take your leaf and paint the front side of it with a different color of paint.
- Press or stamp the leaf onto the stone painted side down. Press gently all of the corners of the leaf to transfer the paint and release the leaf.
TIP- Try painting the leaf all sorts of fall colors at once. When you stamp your leaf onto the stone and release, you’ll have a beautiful Autumn leaf print.
What is my child learning and improving?
- Creativity (choosing the paint color for the stone, choosing the paint color for the leaf, choosing which stone to use, which leaf to print, etc.)
- Fine motor skills (painting with the paint brush, holding the stone)
- Hand-eye coordination (painting the stones carefully, stamping the leaves down onto the rock)
Create these beautiful Leaf prints on Stones today!