This outdoor Leaf Scavenger Hunt is a great reason to head outdoors and get kids moving! They will have a ton of fun searching for leaves, matching them up to the pictures on the cardboard and then securing them to the board.
It’s super quick to prep and you’ll only need 2 materials. Cardboard + marker 🙂
This activity is awesome for combining gross and motor skills. Kids are running around (with pure excitement) picking up leaves, bending, walking. I love activities that involve lots of areas of important development for kids while being inviting at the same time and this activity is exactly that!
More Scavenger hunt activities:
- House Color Scavenger Hunt– perfect scavenger hunt for indoors + makes learning colors fun!
- Object Match Scavenger Hunt– another great hunt for the indoors using household objects, tracing them and matching.
- Cardboard Window Wildflower Hunt– unique and beautiful wildflower hunt that makes a gorgeous craft too!
- Wildflower Hunt– head outdoors with this hunt in search for those stunning wild flowers!
- “Exploring the Outdoors” Scavenger Hunt + free printable– super fun scavenger hunt that uses an egg carton!
Materials For Leaf Scavenger Hunt:
(this list contains affiliate links- this just means I earn a small commission if you purchase via links below, no extra cost to you! See Full Disclosure)
- On a piece of large cardboard (not too large but so it’s still easy for kids to hold), draw 4 or many different types of leaves as you can. I simply opened up leaf clip art on Pinterest and free-hand drawn them.
- Write which tree each leaf comes from underneath each leaf. That’s it! It’s time for the leaf hunt!
I recommend for the adults to do the stapling 🙂
What is my child learning and improving?
- Different types of leaves (kids are observing, analyzing each leaf outside and comparing and matching them to the leaves on the cardboard)
- Cognitive skills (analyzing, comparing, thinking, matching)
- Gross motor skills (kids are walking, running, bending over, etc.)
- Fine motor skills (holding the cardboard, picking up the leaves)
Go on a Leaf Scavenger Hunt today! You’ll enjoy it as a whole family!