This Clothespin Color Sort Activity is a simple and easy way for toddlers to familiarize with and learn colors!
You’ll be surprised to hear this activity only requires 2 materials + a piece of cardboard, old or new. It’s very simple to make and the process of creating this color sort vs the time little ones will be at it…is priceless!
I prepped this activity in under 5 minutes and my 3 year old loved it a lot. He loves sorting so this activity was for him! It kept him busy for quite some time, he was picking and choosing the clothespins trying to match it up perfectly and although he got one color mixed up, I say he did pretty well. And he could name each color so that’s pretty amazing!
Want more color activities? Check out these fun ones!
MATERIALS FOR Clothespin color sort:
(this list contains affiliate links- this just means I earn a small commission if you purchase via links below, no extra cost to you! See Full Disclosure)
- Clothespins (I used medium sized but any will work)
- Colored permanent markers
- Craft knife + mat
- Cut a piece of cardboard into a circle using the craft knife and mat (you can also do a square, it’s up to you!)
- Next, using the colored permanent markers, draw semi circles along the border of the cardboard circle, picking as many different colors as you can.
- Lastly, color the clothespins with the corresponding colors of the semi circles on the cardboard.
What is my child learning and improving?
- Colors (this activity is great for learning colors! Talk with your child about each color of the clothespin, match it up, ask to name something of that color around the house, make it a ton of fun!)
- Fine motor skills (pinching the clothespin with fingers, holding the cardboard circle)
- Cognitive skills (comparing, analyzing, matching the colors, thinking, evaluating. Brains are definitely working!)
- Independent play (this Clothespin Color Sort is a wonderful, busy-activity you can give to your child if you want him/her to stay independent for a while. This activity does the trick! It keeps little ones busy and content for sure)
Make this Clothespin Color Sort today or save it for later by pinning the pin below!